The Hillary Clinton campaign is sounding the alarm over rival Donald Trump’s sudden fundraising surge, alerting donors in an internal memo that his $80 million July haul was “far more” than expected and should serve as a “wake up call.”
“We must redouble our efforts in the coming weeks,” campaign manager Robby Mook said in the memo, obtained by Fox News.
The memo came after Trump and the GOP last week reported raising $80 million in July to Clinton and the Democrats’ $90 million. That marks a huge surge in fundraising for the Republican candidate whose monthly haul, up until July, amounted to a fraction of that.
Though Trump has slipped in the polls since the two parties held their national conventions, Mook noted in the same memo that the race remains “fluid” and predicted the polls will “tighten” again.
Presidential campaigns routinely alert donors to the possibility of being outraised, in a bid to drum up donations throughout the cycle, but the latest memo included some pointed warnings. Mook said Trump “only recently started earnestly fundraising from small donors and has clearly seen significant growth in the past month.”
The warning from the Clinton camp comes as Trump tries to reset his own campaign, returning to talk about policy and his Democratic opponent on the campaign trail – after getting caught up in post-convention controversies seen as distracting from his core message.
Speaking Tuesday with Fox Business Network, Trump voiced confidence about his sustained appeal.
“I’m getting massive crowds,” Trump said. “… It’s got to indicate something good. Every arena is sold out. We’re having 15, 18 and 20,000 people, that’s not even big. So you know something’s going on out there. We’ll find out on November 8.”