Lawmakers in congress are rather frustrated and are telling Obama and his administration to get its story straight on what happened in last week’s deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya, with President Obama coming under pressure to address the American people about the evolving narrative.
“You hate to think that the president would purposely mislead the American people, but it sure looks like it to me,” House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon, R-Calif., said.
McKeon is just one of many top lawmakers who expressed frustration following a briefing with administration officials late Thursday. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said he learned “nothing” from it, claiming the administration is still blaming an anti-Islam film on YouTube for the attack that killed four Americans including the U.S. ambassador.
And the story keeps changing from the White House. Press Secretary Jay Carney for the first time Thursday called the strike terrorism. Obama, though, continued to cite the anti-Islam film when asked about the attack during a voter forum hosted by Univision. Looks like Obama is still in denial that we are at war with terrorists.
“There are going to be different circumstances in different countries. And so I don’t want to speak to something until we have all the information. What we do know is that the natural protests that arose because of the outrage over the video were used as an excuse by extremists to see if they can also directly harm U.S. interests,” he said.
But McCain retorted: “It’s not the video. It’s the Islamists who are pushing this video.”
And Obama keeps apologizing for one of our basic rights: free speech. Yet these extremists can continue to blasphemize other religions, such as christianity.
He and other lawmakers claim the attack was clearly pre-planned and could lead back to Al Qaeda or an affiliate. Obama, in his interview with Univision, did not say whether Al Qaeda might be involved, saying the matter is still under investigation.
It’s cut and dried, and evidence has been revealed that it was an act of terrorism.
There is also much concern over the fact that the Administration keeps changing its story. Foremost, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice’s claims that the attack was a “spontaneous” event triggered by protests in Cairo were challenged by claims out of Libya and intelligence sources that the strike was premeditated and possibly tied to a former Guantanamo inmate. Sources also said there was no major protest in Benghazi before the strike, which further challenged assertions that the strike was part of a demonstration spun out of control.
Fox News has also confirmed that 2 former Navy Seals killed in the attack were not working security for the State Department but were in Benghazi for a separate agency. And they were not initially at the consulate — but a separate facility — when the main building came under fire last Tuesday night.
Some lawmakers have called for an independent investigation, expressing concern about whether the administration is handling it appropriately.
Following Thursday’s briefing with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and others, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., reportedly slammed the meeting as “the most useless, worthless briefing that I have attended in a long time.”
“It was like a one-hour filibuster with absolutely not one single bit of new information being brought forth,” he said, according to Foreign Policy magazine. The briefing “if anything, built far greater distrust about what’s happening than just answering questions. It was pretty unbelievable.”